Investing in the Undervalued and Underappreciated

Nine months.

On Thursday, October 5th, 2006, I looked across a large, crowded room and saw a beautiful 25 year-old girl who had no legitimate reason to be alone. In that wishful moment at The Factory in Franklin, Tennessee, I thought about how wonderful life could be if I could get that beautiful Puerto Rican stranger to fall in love with me. Turns out, she wasn’t Puerto Rican; it also turns out, she did fall in love with me- but it took exactly four months to the day for her to see me as more than just a friend.

Without knowing it, I applied a long-standing business principle of billionaire Warren Buffet, as explained in his son Peter Buffet’s book, Life is What You Make It:

“The idea is elegantly simple. Find something the world underappreciates, support it, don’t meddle, and allow time for the world to catch up in its valuation.”

I basically can’t stop obsessing over that very true concept. It doesn’t just apply to business; it appears to life in general.

How did a guy like me end up getting a girl like Jillanne Tuttle to fall in love with me? More importantly, why was this girl still even single, anyway?

Because she was underappreciated. So I supported her. And I didn’t meddle. Needless to say, it worked. That’s the only way I could have gotten a girl so out of my league like that.

I ignored the bad advice of well-meaning guy friends who tried to tell me I should come on strong and ask her out on a date from the very beginning. Instead, I privately vowed to be her friend first, not meddling with our friendship. Then interestingly, on February 5th, 2007, a switch flipped; she finally saw me in the romantic way that I had seen her from day one.

Is it crushing to my ego that she didn’t immediately fall in love with me for my weird and random conversations, not to mention my physical likeness of a plethora of Jewish actors such as Fred Savage, who played Kevin Arnold on The Wonder Years? (Featured right, with his son.)

Not really. Subconsciously I knew back then that if I were to truly capture the attention, as well as, the heart of this girl, it would take more than all the culturally valuable assets I didn’t possess.

The truth is, I happened to be the right guy in the right place at the right time, making a conscious effort to invest in a person who others foolishly overlooked. So I made the most of it. Thank God it worked.

That same principle is how The Dadabase was born. I realized there was all kinds of information for moms-to-be, but not for dads-to-be. So a few weeks after we found out we were going to have a baby, I decided to start a weekly blog from my fatherly perspective. Sure enough, that was sort of a rare thing- unique enough that  American Baby took notice in their magazine in October of last year.

And when Parents.com started asking around in their search for an official daddy blogger, I happened to be the right guy in the right place at the right time, because their sister magazine American Baby had featured my blog on page 13 of their issue just five months before.

In other words, I found something the world had underappreciated (parenting advice and narration from the dad’s perspective), I supported it, I didn’t meddle, and the world began to catch up in its valuation.

As for using this concept in parenting, I’m already seeing how it translates. No other humans can see more value in my son than my wife and I can. So we will reasonably support him, do our best not to meddle in ways we shouldn’t, and wait for the world to catch up in his valuation.

It’s wild to think that we are surrounded by underappreciated things in this world everyday, just waiting to be supported and valued. What great things are we missing out on simply because certain rocks haven’t been turned over and certain doors have never been opened?

Some possible answers could include “flying cars like in Back to the Future, Part II,” “cell phone watches like Penny and Brain had on Inspector Gadget,” and “the comeback of Pepsi Clear.”

Back To The Dadabase
  1. by Jenny Dean Schmidt

On September 6, 2011 at 5:39 pm

I, too, agree with Buffet’s business philosophy that there are undervalued and underappreciated things in this world… and, believe it or not, one of them is motherhood! Our culture esteems “celebrityhood” far above motherhood and we honor the rich and famous much more than the average mom. And, we COMPLETELY undervalue “fatherhood!” Kudos to you for your continued adoration of your wife!

2. by Nick Shell

On September 6, 2011 at 7:30 pm

3. by Britt Abadi

On November 15, 2011 at 3:38 am

Britney Spears has added on 4 fresh, new schedules to her imminent England uk tour. The pop celebrity, who will certainly be bringing her Femme Fatale tour right onto British shores during October

4. by franczyza

On November 16, 2011 at 7:26 am

you’re really a good webmaster. The website loading speed is incredible. It seems that you are doing any unique trick. In addition, The contents are masterpiece. you’ve done a fantastic job on this topic!

5. by gray ugg boots

On November 16, 2011 at 11:16 pm

My spouse and i were really delighted when Albert could finish off his basic research through the entire precious recommendations he acquired from your very own blog. It’s not at all simplistic to just always be making a gift of strategies that many people have been making money from. We understand we have the blog owner to be grateful to because of that. The most important explanations you’ve made, the easy website menu, the friendships you will give support to promote – it’s mostly unbelievable, and it is leading our son and the family feel that that topic is brilliant, which is exceptionally pressing. Many thanks for the whole thing!

6. by Allegro Forum

On November 18, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is an extremely well written article. I will make sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful information. Thanks for the post. I will certainly return.

7. by Kerry Mixdorf

On December 25, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Thanks for the info, very useful

8. by ugg baratas

On January 6, 2012 at 7:10 am

Aw, this was a really nice post. In concept I want to put in writing like this additionally – taking time and actual effort to make an excellent article… but what can I say… I procrastinate alot and on no account seem to get one thing done.

9. by timberland amsterdam

On January 9, 2012 at 10:22 pm

It’s onerous to find educated folks on this matter, however you sound like you understand what you’re talking about! Thanks

10. by cheap lv shoes

On February 28, 2012 at 11:45 pm

Fantastic beat ! I would like to beginner as you modify your website, how can i sign up for a blog site? The accounts aided me a acceptable deal. I had been a little bit acquainted of the your broadcast provided bright clear concept

11. by ralph lauren boys shirts

On March 20, 2012 at 5:57 pm

We loved reading through your submit. I have got to admit it was the initial content on your weblog I truly liked as well as where I had a sense of knowing, understand what I am talking about? Anyway, keep up with the publishing as well as Im going to return once again.

12. by Tu Mccullin

On July 24, 2012 at 10:01 am

The very root of your writing while sounding agreeable initially, did not really sit perfectly with me personally after some time. Somewhere throughout the paragraphs you actually were able to make me a believer but only for a short while. I still have a problem with your leaps in assumptions and one would do well to help fill in all those breaks. If you actually can accomplish that, I would surely be fascinated.