Sexual Abuse of Young Children in Foster Care

Faithful reader of The Adoption Diaries, reader Amy was absolutely horrified by this post we ran last month about a new foster-adoptive single father who not only raped his three new adopted children (ages 9 – 13 boys and girls), but he prostituted the kids out to his friends as well. This article made many of you physically ill. Me too.

So Amy then did more digging for me on credible instances where older children in an adoptive (or foster) family do abuse the younger children in the home, whether those younger children are, in fact,  biological children or other, younger foster kids.

Amy said she found a research paper from 2003 about how up to half of all child abuse in foster care situations is performed by older kids who’ve seen far too much trouble in foster care. She said, “Up to 50 percent of those who sexually abuse children are under the age of 18 themselves.”

– Hunter, J.A., Figueredo, A., Malamuth, N.M., & Becker, J.V. (2003). Juvenile sex offenders: Toward the Development of a typology. Sexual Abuse: A Journal of Research and Treatment, (2003) Volume 15, No. 1.

When the Sexual Predator is Another Child

It is terrible that sex abuse at home occurred when an older new foster brother (a teenager) was brought into the foster parents home and he ended up sexually molesting their 9-year-old. Ugh. While it is commendable that a family would foster a 17-year-old male who lives with younger children (boys or girls), it raises questions too.

Amy said to me, “I have to wonder what they were thinking.  And, what was the private adoption agency thinking? Did they not know that a 9-year-old biological daughter was in that house?

This happens not only with a non-family foster placement, but also with bio-related children being placed with family members who have young children.  The most recent case I heard was of a 7 -year-old sexually assaulting his 5-year-old cousin.

Amy said, “I think that in the foster care system,  any foster parent, whether bio-related or not, should have an idea of the history of the child being placed and the potential risk. Some children should simply not be placed in a house with other children. And I think you need to be just as wary about older children who can gain access to children via the parents running an in-home daycare.”

Ditto, Amy, thanks for sharing on The Adoption Diaries. Does anyone know a great story about a healthy mixing of bio kids and foster children? I’d love to hear it!

Back To The Adoption Diaries, by Nicole Dorsey-Straff
  1. by scam dentist

On May 30, 2012 at 9:45 am

I just like the helpful information you supply for your articles. I’ll bookmark your blog and test once more here frequently. I’m somewhat certain I will

2. by Frank Kern

On June 13, 2012 at 11:46 am

one’s site, maintain up the nice

3. by yeni ttk

On June 18, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Welcome all of your articles as the Turks have been reading. respects

4. by Related Site

On June 19, 2012 at 4:56 pm

I think this site contains some rattling fantastic info for everyone. “He who has not looked on Sorrow will never see Joy.” by Kahlil Gibran.

5. by pings

On June 21, 2012 at 4:49 am

hey there and thanks to your info ? I have certainly picked up something new from right here. I did however experience a few technical issues using this website, as I experienced to reload the web site a lot of times prior to I could get it to load properly. I have been wondering if your web host is OK? Not that I’m complaining, however sluggish loading instances instances will sometimes have an effect on your placement in google and could harm your quality rating if advertising and marketing with Adwords. Well I am adding this RSS to my email and can glance out for a lot extra of your respective interesting content. Ensure that you replace this once more soon..

6. by Branda

On June 21, 2012 at 8:26 am

I usually do not leave a response, however after looking at a bunch of responses on Sexual Abuse Common in Foster Care, Adoption | The Adoption Diaries, by Nicole Dorsey-Straff. I actually do have a few questions for you if it’s okay. Could it be only me or does it look like some of these remarks appear like they are left by brain dead individuals? :-P And, if you are posting at additional social sites, I would like to follow you. Could you post a list of all of your shared sites like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?|I drop a comment when I appreciate a post on a website or I have something to add to the discussion. Usually it is a result of the fire displayed in the post I browsed. And after this article . I was moved enough to leave a thought ;) I actually do have a couple of questions for you if it’s okay. Could it be simply me or do a few of the remarks appear like they are written by brain dead visitors? :-P And, if you are writing on other places, I’d like to follow you. Could you list all of all your public sites like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?|I hardly write remarks, but i did some searching and wound up here Sexual Abuse Common in Foster Care, Adoption | The Adoption Diaries, by Nicole Dorsey-Straff. And I actually do have 2 questions for you if it’s allright. Is it only me or does it look like some of these remarks look like they are written by brain dead people? :-P And, if you are posting at additional places, I’d like to keep up with anything new you have to post. Would you list of every one of all your communal pages like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?|I believe what you published was very reasonable. But, think about this, what if you were to create a awesome post title? I mean, I don’t want to tell you how to run your blog, however what if you added a post title that grabbed a person’s attention? I mean Sexual Abuse Common in Foster Care, Adoption | The Adoption Diaries, by Nicole Dorsey-Straff is a little vanilla. You should glance at Yahoo’s front page and note how they create post titles to get people to click. You might add a video or a related picture or two to get people excited about everything’ve got to say. In my opinion, it might bring your blog a little bit more interesting.

7. by Calentamiento

On June 22, 2012 at 6:20 pm

But wanna comment that you have a very decent internet site , I enjoy the style and design it really stands out.

8. by Kegel Workout

On June 24, 2012 at 11:14 pm

I’ve been browsing online more than three hours as of late, but I by no means discovered any interesting article like yours. It is beautiful price sufficient for me. Personally, if all website owners and bloggers made just right content as you did, the internet will be a lot more useful than ever before. “Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons.” by Walt Whitman.

9. by http://homesforsaleinmacombmi.tumblr.com

On June 25, 2012 at 11:24 am

Right now it looks like Drupal is the preferred blogging platform available right now. (from what I’ve read) Is that what you are using on your blog?

10. by Prometheus torrent

On June 26, 2012 at 2:25 am

I seldom leave remarks, but I looked at a few of the comments here Sexual Abuse Common in Foster Care, Adoption | The Adoption Diaries, by Nicole Dorsey-Straff. I do have a couple of questions for you if it’s okay. Is it simply me or do some of the responses look like they are left by brain dead people? :-P And, if you are posting on additional sites, I’d like to follow anything new you have to post. Would you make a list of the complete urls of your shared sites like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?|I drop a comment whenever I like a article on a site or if I have something to valuable to contribute to the conversation. Usually it is caused by the passion communicated in the post I looked at. And after this article . I was excited enough to drop a leave a responsea response :) I do have a couple of questions for you if it’s okay. Could it be only me or does it look like like some of the remarks appear as if they are coming from brain dead people? :-P And, if you are posting at additional places, I would like to keep up with you. Would you list every one of all your communal pages like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?|I hardly comment, but i did some searching and wound up here Sexual Abuse Common in Foster Care, Adoption | The Adoption Diaries, by Nicole Dorsey-Straff. And I actually do have a couple of questions for you if it’s allright. Is it simply me or does it appear like a few of the remarks come across like left by brain dead people? :-P And, if you are writing at other social sites, I’d like to keep up with anything fresh you have to post. Could you list of the complete urls of all your social pages like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?|I believe everything published was very reasonable. However, think about this, suppose you added a little information? I am not saying your information is not solid, however suppose you added a title to maybe get folk’s attention? I mean Sexual Abuse Common in Foster Care, Adoption | The Adoption Diaries, by Nicole Dorsey-Straff is kinda plain. You might look at Yahoo’s home page and note how they create news headlines to grab people interested. You might add a related video or a related picture or two to get readers interested about everything’ve got to say. Just my opinion, it would make your website a little livelier.

11. by Prometheus film

On June 26, 2012 at 8:52 am

I seldom leave remarks, but I looked through a few remarks here Sexual Abuse Common in Foster Care, Adoption | The Adoption Diaries, by Nicole Dorsey-Straff. I actually do have a couple of questions for you if it’s okay. Could it be simply me or does it look as if like a few of these comments come across like they are left by brain dead individuals? :-P And, if you are writing on additional online social sites, I’d like to keep up with everything fresh you have to post. Could you list of the complete urls of all your public pages like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?|I drop a leave a response when I appreciate a article on a blog or if I have something to add to the conversation. Usually it is a result of the fire displayed in the post I read. And after this post . I was excited enough to drop a leave a responsea response ;) I do have a couple of questions for you if you do not mind. Could it be only me or does it give the impression like some of these comments appear like they are written by brain dead people? :-P And, if you are writing at other online social sites, I would like to follow everything fresh you have to post. Could you make a list all of your communal sites like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?|I usually do not write a great deal of comments, but i did some searching and wound up here Sexual Abuse Common in Foster Care, Adoption | The Adoption Diaries, by Nicole Dorsey-Straff. And I actually do have 2 questions for you if you tend not to mind. Could it be only me or does it look like some of the comments appear like they are left by brain dead visitors? :-P And, if you are posting on other sites, I’d like to follow anything new you have to post. Would you list of all of your public sites like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?|I think that what you published made a lot of sense. But, what about this? suppose you wrote a catchier post title? I mean, I don’t wish to tell you how to run your website, however suppose you added a headline to maybe grab a person’s attention? I mean Sexual Abuse Common in Foster Care, Adoption | The Adoption Diaries, by Nicole Dorsey-Straff is a little plain. You could glance at Yahoo’s front page and see how they create news titles to grab viewers to open the links. You might add a related video or a pic or two to get people interested about what you’ve got to say. In my opinion, it might make your posts a little livelier.

12. by Prometheus film

On June 27, 2012 at 4:38 am

I hardly create remarks, but I looked at a bunch of responses on Sexual Abuse Common in Foster Care, Adoption | The Adoption Diaries, by Nicole Dorsey-Straff. I do have a couple of questions for you if you do not mind. Is it only me or do some of these comments look as if they are written by brain dead folks? :-P And, if you are posting at additional places, I would like to keep up with you. Could you make a list of every one of your social community sites like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?|I drop a comment when I appreciate a post on a site or if I have something to add to the discussion. Usually it is triggered by the passion communicated in the article I browsed. And on this article . I was actually moved enough to post a thought ;-) I actually do have some questions for you if you tend not to mind. Is it only me or do some of these responses appear like left by brain dead visitors? :-P And, if you are writing on other online social sites, I’d like to keep up with you. Would you list every one of your public pages like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?|I seldom leave comments, but i did a few searching and wound up here Sexual Abuse Common in Foster Care, Adoption | The Adoption Diaries, by Nicole Dorsey-Straff. And I do have 2 questions for you if it’s allright. Could it be simply me or does it seem like some of the remarks look like they are left by brain dead folks? :-P And, if you are posting at additional online social sites, I would like to follow everything fresh you have to post. Would you list of the complete urls of your shared pages like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?|I believe what you composed was actually very logical. However, think on this, what if you wrote a catchier title? I am not suggesting your content is not solid, but suppose you added a post title to maybe grab folk’s attention? I mean Sexual Abuse Common in Foster Care, Adoption | The Adoption Diaries, by Nicole Dorsey-Straff is kinda vanilla. You could glance at Yahoo’s home page and see how they create news titles to grab people interested. You might add a related video or a pic or two to get people interested about everything’ve written. In my opinion, it could bring your posts a little livelier.

13. by Garry Bendetti

On June 27, 2012 at 8:55 pm

One thing I want to comment on is that fat reduction plan fast can be performed by the suitable diet and exercise. A person’s size not merely affects appearance, but also the actual quality of life. Self-esteem, melancholy, health risks, and physical capabilities are influenced in weight gain. It is possible to do everything right but still gain. In such a circumstance, a condition may be the primary cause. While a lot food rather than enough exercise are usually guilty, common medical conditions and trusted prescriptions might greatly help to increase size. Thanks a bunch for your post right here.

14. by Cassy

On June 28, 2012 at 3:32 am

I don’t drop a ton of remarks, however after reading through some of the responses on Sexual Abuse Common in Foster Care, Adoption | The Adoption Diaries, by Nicole Dorsey-Straff. I actually do have 2 questions for you if it’s okay. Could it be simply me or do some of these comments appear like they are left by brain dead people? :-P And, if you are posting on additional online social sites, I’d like to follow everything fresh you have to post. Could you post a list of all of your social pages like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?|I drop a comment each time I especially enjoy a article on a website or if I have something to valuable to contribute to the discussion. It’s a result of the fire displayed in the article I browsed. And after this post . I was actually excited enough to drop a thought :-P I actually do have a couple of questions for you if you don’t mind. Could it be just me or do some of the remarks look as if they are written by brain dead individuals? :-P And, if you are writing on additional social sites, I would like to follow you. Could you make a list all of your communal pages like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?|I rarely create comments, however i did a few searching and wound up here Sexual Abuse Common in Foster Care, Adoption | The Adoption Diaries, by Nicole Dorsey-Straff. And I do have a few questions for you if it’s allright. Is it just me or does it look like some of the responses come across as if they are written by brain dead people? :-P And, if you are writing at other places, I’d like to follow anything fresh you have to post. Could you make a list of all of your communal pages like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?|I believe everything posted was actually very reasonable. But, what about this? suppose you added a little content? I ain’t suggesting your information is not good., however what if you added something that makes people desire more? I mean Sexual Abuse Common in Foster Care, Adoption | The Adoption Diaries, by Nicole Dorsey-Straff is a little boring. You could peek at Yahoo’s front page and note how they create article titles to get viewers interested. You might try adding a video or a related pic or two to grab readers excited about what you’ve written. Just my opinion, it could make your website a little livelier.

15. by shop store

On June 29, 2012 at 11:53 pm

Great beat ! I wish to apprentice whilst you amend your web site, how could i subscribe for a weblog site? The account helped me a applicable deal. I had been tiny bit familiar of this your broadcast offered brilliant transparent concept

16. by Cassy

On July 10, 2012 at 10:52 am

I usually do not drop many comments, however after browsing some of the comments here Sexual Abuse Common in Foster Care, Adoption | The Adoption Diaries, by Nicole Dorsey-Straff. I do have a couple of questions for you if you do not mind. Is it simply me or does it give the impression like a few of these comments appear like they are written by brain dead individuals? :-P And, if you are writing on other online sites, I would like to keep up with everything new you have to post. Could you list of the complete urls of all your social sites like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?|I drop a leave a response whenever I like a article on a site or if I have something to add to the discussion. It is triggered by the fire displayed in the article I read. And on this post . I was actually moved enough to post a thought ;) I actually do have 2 questions for you if you usually do not mind. Could it be just me or do a few of the remarks look like they are coming from brain dead people? :-P And, if you are posting at additional places, I’d like to follow you. Would you list every one of all your communal sites like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?|I almost never leave responses, however i did some searching and wound up here Sexual Abuse Common in Foster Care, Adoption | The Adoption Diaries, by Nicole Dorsey-Straff. And I actually do have a couple of questions for you if you tend not to mind. Could it be only me or does it appear like a few of the comments come across like they are left by brain dead people? :-P And, if you are posting at other sites, I’d like to keep up with everything fresh you have to post. Would you list of all of all your community sites like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?|I think that what you wrote made a bunch of sense. But, think on this, what if you composed a catchier title? I am not saying your content isn’t solid, but what if you added something to possibly grab people’s attention? I mean Sexual Abuse Common in Foster Care, Adoption | The Adoption Diaries, by Nicole Dorsey-Straff is kinda vanilla. You ought to glance at Yahoo’s home page and see how they write post titles to grab viewers interested. You might add a video or a related picture or two to grab readers interested about everything’ve got to say. Just my opinion, it might make your blog a little bit more interesting.

17. by read more

On July 31, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Howdy just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The text in your content seem to be running off the screen in Opera. I’m not sure if this is a format issue or something to do with internet browser compatibility but I thought I’d post to let you know. The style and design look great though! Hope you get the problem fixed soon. Cheers

18. by oneseemehere4

On April 18, 2013 at 3:05 am

Upon arriving in this post, this is a very effective communication and I hope that you might have seen much earlier. Thank you very much for this and waiting to visit soon. Enjoy finding stuff on stuff like this.

19. by intelligent cctv

On April 22, 2013 at 8:51 am

What are the probable things i must have to make a security system designed with…..?