Three Adopted Kids Raped and Abused by New Father

From Ohio, comes a totally despicable tale. Adopting from foster care, you hear all too-many stories like this but many kids never tell because they could end up somewhere far worse.

A 39-year old man is accusing of raping his three adopted children and allowing other men to have sex with them.

Kenneth Brant is charged with three counts of rape and one of compelling prostitution. Police say Brandt was arrested during an online sting in which an undercover detective arranged to have sex with one of the children.

Brandt had legally adopted three children and was in the process of adopting a fourth who lived with him. The children include three boys and a 9-year-old girl.

Police say one of the children, a 10-year old boy, told them two other men besides the suspect had sex with him. Police said the other two boys, ages 9 and 12, also said the suspect had sex with them.

The boy initially told police that he did not want to divulge because he was afraid he would be  separated from his brothers.  The kids were adopted in 2011 from Texas through a private adoption agency, which is now under investigation. The two other male rapists were also arrested.

Uh! You must wonder about the processes behind this private adoption! How well was this guy screened? How did he get three kids and those poor babies. Is anyone else completely outraged by this story? It sets back private adoption by three decades — who can you trust with these vulnerable, beautiful innocent kids?

Someone tell me a happy story of adoption, please!

Back To The Adoption Diaries, by Nicole Dorsey-Straff
  1. by jesse

On March 16, 2012 at 11:06 am

put these a-holes in the prison main yard and let everyone know why they are there!

2. by JB

On March 17, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Too many sick men/women in the USA. To save taxpayer’s money, just put them in electric chair without going through the trail.

3. by RogersParker

On March 17, 2012 at 1:24 pm

From what I understand about prison life (none of it firsthand, thank goodness), inmates take an especially distasteful view of convicted felons who abuse children. Mr. Brant will certainly get his just desserts.

What I’d like to know is how this man has flown under the radar for 39 years. Pedophiles don’t just one day start molesting children; they usually come from abusive families and have engaged in abusive behaviors most of their lives. How the heck could this allegedly sick, sick man be considered an appropriate candidate to adopt children? and not just one, but THREE children?!

I am just heartsick for those kids and hope they find a safe home with lots of love–and therapy.

4. by Donna M

On March 18, 2012 at 12:31 pm

MAY HE BURN IN THE LOWEST AND MOST MISERABLE OF PLACES. AFTER HE IS CASTRATED HERE ON EARTH.

5. by Herbert Winston

On March 19, 2012 at 8:55 am

Three words “intricate bone carvings” while still alive of course. If being your very first drug offence can land you in prison for life, and is deemed by the supreme court to NOT be cruel or unusual, then i would sujjest these fellows are flayed alive, and have intricate carvings preformed on thier exposed bone.

6. by Dylan Jefferson

On March 19, 2012 at 10:07 am

This guy should not be breathing – NOW! Spend a buck on a good bullet, and let it find it’s way into this idiots head.

7. by Rachel

On March 19, 2012 at 10:56 am

this makes me so sick. my mother was adopted and in turn adopted my younger sister, she is the most beautiful and talented girl. she enjoys sport and music and spend lotd of time with all of our family…just wanted to share a happy story :)

8. by billie

On March 20, 2012 at 10:02 am

Children are not commodities but threads of life and should be protected. Even if these child molesters are ‘sick’ they should be castrated (without anesthesia perferable) and put in a prison yard naked. Let the punishement fit the crime – but then again, men like this might like it – just put a bullet in their head.

9. by tracy

On March 20, 2012 at 10:20 am

Wow, no wonder adoption has a bad rap!! My parents adopted my sister and I 19 yrs ago when we were 6 and 9, out of a horrible life. We are very thankful for it.Sadly, too much of the above is going on in this country.

10. by Chris

On March 21, 2012 at 9:53 am

We need to make sure that these kids get the medical and emotional support that they need, they will need extra TLC to try to make sure this outrage doesn’t affect them for the rest of their lives.

11. by Cheryl B

On March 21, 2012 at 10:50 am

I was adopted before I was born. This was unheard of 53 years ago. It was an adoption arranged through a parish priest and Catholic Charties. I can remember whn we went to adopt my younger brother. We were sitting in an office and they brought him in. My Mom held him. I got to hold him. And the nuns were saying if we wanted him, we could come back. I can remember my Dad saying, we came here today to take home a baby that needs a home. We left there with only a change of clothes and me extremely happy because I got a baby brother.

12. by Janet

On March 23, 2012 at 9:35 am

I was adopted by wonderful people who gave me (and later my little sister) a great life. Things like this make both angry and sick. I can only hope he receives justice now — and I hope that when he is imprisoned, it’s made very clear to the other inmates why he’s there.

13. by Karina

On March 23, 2012 at 10:31 am

Why???? how can anyone harm chldren. And the brave little one enduring everything for fear of being separated from his brothers. they shouldn’t be imprisoned, those rapists should be stopped with a bullet while trying to “escape.”

14. by Amy

On March 27, 2012 at 9:25 am

We decided to become foster parents 5 years ago when we realized how many lost children were needing “good” homes. We ended up adopting 2 beautiful little boys. So many people ask how we were able to go through the pain of almost losing them, fostering can be very emotionally draining. We did it for them, unfortunately too many “good” people won’t take the risk of being hurt themselves and rescue these innocent ones. Therefore the agencies become desperate and sloppy, the kids have to go somewhere. Please consider this plea to do something about this tragedy!

15. by Valarie

On March 27, 2012 at 10:31 am

This is a very disturbing story. I am a mom of two beautiful adopted children and a teacher, and it pains me to see children being abused and taken advantage of. Not all private agencies are bad, but someone dropped the ball. There is no punishment that this person can endure that will equal the pain that he inflicted on these children.

16. by Doris Orvis

On March 29, 2012 at 10:11 am

Oh my gosh, this is horrible! these children will never be the same! The sickos really need to go away, I don’t know how, but they cannot be rehabilitated, it has been proven. those poor children, my heart goes out for them. I also have adopted children and this is just totally unacceptable and the agency really needs to be investigated, a single guy gets three children and up for another one!?

17. by Sara

On March 31, 2012 at 11:51 am

Unfortunately there is a big push to allow homosexuals to adopt in order to be PC and meet equality standards and ratings. That being said, they don’t investigate the adoptive parents as much as they should. I know there are plenty of great homosexual adoptive parents and I am not trying to come off as starting a war here, but the screening process is biased and meant to fulfill standards. This really should be brought to light and hopefully adoption agencies look harder at the history of the parents and not so much race, gender, preferences, etc as being the pre qualifications.

18. by Dawn

On April 1, 2012 at 10:34 am

There are so many happy and beautiful stories of adoption to be told, but THIS tale is NOT about adoption. It is about a predator. Adoptive parent screening is very extensive. I am an adoptive mother and can attest to the scrutiny and examination that we all go through. So sad for these children who were already failed and have endured further trauma. This is the exception, NOT the rule. The screening process may not be perfect, but I would love to compare it to that of parents who conceive children. Yeah…that is NON-EXISTENT. NO requirement upon them whatsoever to be screened, tested, interviewed or trained prior to becoming parents. Just a little balance for this awful and tragic story. Please do not focus on the wrong element. Bad parents are bad parents. Most all children who are in protective custody or waiting for forever loving foster/adoptive families did not arrive there because of abuse at the hands of an adoptive parent.

19. by Lee

On April 2, 2012 at 9:40 am

What irresponsible, sensationalist journalism! “Someone tell me a happy story of adoption, please!”, you say. There are thousands upon thousands of happy adoption stories, and many by men such as myself. All of the good stories are easy to find– loving adoptive parents host hundreds of blogs sharing the joys of new parenthood. By focusing on this kind of horrible, horrible abuse, you make it sound like (1) people only adopt from state systems to further abuse kids and (2) that adoptive fathers shouldn’t be trusted. SHAME ON YOU. If you want to encourage positive adoption stories, then PUBLISH THE THOUSANDS that exist. Perhaps if you do, other adults will be encouraged to be adoptive parents too. No, you’d rather just fuel the fires of fear because it makes you LOOK like you’re concerned about kids. You’d rather just line your wallet with the heartaches of others.

20. by jerry

On April 3, 2012 at 9:18 am

Shoot in head!

21. by jerry

On April 3, 2012 at 9:23 am

It’s funny, I tried adopting a puppy about 7 years ago, and finally I gave up cause i got the third degree. I had to fill out questionares, I got interviewed, and finally I got denied, cause the puppy was gonna spent way too much time outside??????? Go fiqure

22. by Su

On April 3, 2012 at 10:36 am

Nice try, JB, throwing “women” in there. It’s your gender who rapes and fuels the child sex industry.

23. by niecy

On April 4, 2012 at 9:14 am

OMG..This made me sick on the stomach…Praying for the kids!!!!

24. by A LOPEZ

On April 5, 2012 at 9:16 am

THAT PICE OF EXCREMENT DOES NOT DESERVE TO WALK AMONG FOLKS EANYTHING ELSE IS A PARDON HOPE THEY EXCECUTE HIM AND HIS FRIENDS.

25. by diane

On April 5, 2012 at 10:02 am

our system is dusfunctional; take kids away from parents because someone doesn’t think they are fit and let folks ike this adopt’em? tell me this makes sense? just read about a mexican immigrant sent back and NC govt wants to adopt ut is children cause they don’t tink the mother is fit…if you think you are God and can select better parents guess aain then shoot yourself for being so egotistical and stupid.

26. by Velma Sanders

On April 6, 2012 at 10:07 am

If the catholic charities had anything to do with taking these children from their real loving families so they can be abused by the scum of the earth. Shame on you.
    Let’s shut down the children family services worldwide and start over cause they are doing more harm than good.
    God I pray u return to this forsaken world and remove the evil that resides here. Mostly Catholics .

27. by Betty

On April 7, 2012 at 10:02 am

sosososo sad.still crying about this. I just cant get over it. Pray for these babies, and all the others we dont hear about.

28. by Julia

On April 8, 2012 at 9:35 am

people need to know the corruption that is going on in the adoption agencies and the gov’t. Once people become involved with CPS and their children are young, CPS only agenda is to deny the parents rights to get their children back. Although the law states the parents be given reunification services, which include parenting classes, etc. It’s all hype, parents can usually forget about their kids because the systems’ objective is to adopt them out for monetary bonuses. Grandparents and other relatives who try to intervene on behalf of the children are told they have limited rights and are subjected to humiliating and biased treatment by the department. The social workers do play god, thinking they know what is good for these children. sometimes i think they don’t care, they are so desensitized to their jobs. Children are shuffled from one abusive foster home to the next. The parents have to witness in horror what is being done to their children, while the social workers feel they are better off in the abusive homes many children find their selves in. It pains me to hear about these atrocities. I agree the system needs to be dismantled.

29. by Elizabeth

On April 14, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Hey Velma Sanders Catholic-basher: Where do you get that these children were “taken from their real loving families”??? Furthermore – where from this article do you get that Catholic Charities were involved?? This is a horrific example of adoption gone wrong. Using a forum such as this to display your obvious hatred for Catholics (your “prayer” that God return to this forsaken world and remove the evil that resides here – mostly Catholics) is pathetic. There is corruption and evil EVERYWHERE and within all denominations, not just Catholic. You are no better than someone who declares that all Jews are greedy, all blacks are lazy or all Muslims are terrorists. Your simple mindedness is sad and you should think twice before posting your ignorant comments anytime soon. How about this one: All Velmas are dumb and watch Mama’s Family reruns. Get my point?

30. by Ohno

On August 3, 2012 at 7:14 am

There is a REASON most adoption agencies worth their salt REFUSE to allow children to be adopted by single men.

This would be that reason.

31. by OhNo

On August 3, 2012 at 7:21 am

Velma; What a hate filled post. I am sorry for you bigotry against an entire religion. You have probably heard a lot of untrue things about it. Catholic Charities is a wonderful organization. Without them many babies would’ve been aborted, as for a while they were the only agency in a lot of places, and they did a wonderful job placing children in loving families. Shame on YOU. There is absolutely NO evidence which agency was involved in this. Your religious bigotry is entirely out of place here.

And I know my comment about single men adopting is not “PC” but the truth is the risk of sexual abuse goes way up with single men seeking to adopt strangers to them, who are children. 99 percent of pedophiles are male. What I said is based upon the actual experiences of child protection agencies and the like.

32. by Jeff

On August 4, 2012 at 8:13 am

By no means am I defending this man or the other two involved with this sick acted on these children. But the three men invovled are not the only issue here. Why isn’t anyone holding the private adoption agency accountable. Where was the back ground check that should have ben done? And why wasn’t there any mention of socail workers doing home visits? Yes, I agree these men should be justly dealt with. But, as you know, our justice system isn’t the best thing going. It is well noted that there are a lot of the justice system and government system that are behind our Nations bigest problem of Human trafficking. We live in a country that has become so relaxed on the issues that should be our biggest concerns and yet those issues that should be our least on the ones that our most looked at.

33. by Ned

On August 5, 2012 at 5:45 am

Why is it so hard to believe that homosexuals RAPE kids? Why isn’t anyone talking about that? Is that taboo or something? The truth is, it goes on ALL THE TIME but you aren’t supposed to know that.

34. by Icanonlybejm

On August 6, 2012 at 1:05 am

Ned- No one is saying homosexuals rape kids any more or less than heterosexuals or bisexuals do. If you’d comprehended the article, you’d realize that a girl was one of the raped children. If sexuality was the motivation, she would’ve remained unharmed. Since we don’t know what was going on through the minds of these despicable men, it is ignorant to tie this to homosexuality.

35. by Firebrand

On August 8, 2012 at 6:47 am

Well, at least these kids will be ready to live in amerikkka now. They’ve been conditioned to be perfect US citizens. Was the adopting father an executive in the banking industry, by chance? Or was he a baptist minister?

36. by Firebrand

On August 8, 2012 at 6:48 am

Ahhhh, the adopting father must’ve been a catholic

37. by Mona

On August 8, 2012 at 7:19 am

Bring back that thing that stretched your head off your neck till it popped off. Do these things in a
    public place where adult sickos can see this and these things shall cease.

38. by angel

On August 9, 2012 at 2:25 am

adoptions should be closely watched!!! this mans photo should be posted fro all of us to see….let his life b just as miserable as he has made the rest of their lives!!!! now WHO…pray tell…are goin to adopt these children together??? when that family comes forward….then THAT will be the happy ending you so cherish about adoption!!! but…like everything else…im sure you wont track these poor children down or make any effort to make sure their life is fulfilled….willya? thats a triple dog dare! i cant…because im broke…but i have much love for children includin my own

39. by augie gallegos

On August 13, 2012 at 2:04 am

What agency would give kids to a Sandusky like weirdo like this man ? I feel for those children and hope him and hid buddies rot in eternal hell !!

40. by Passerby

On August 14, 2012 at 4:37 am

*Pedophiles* rape kids. Look at any of their histories, they’ll take any kid they can get their hands on, regardless of sex.

Frankly, I think this is the outcome of relying on screening, testing, and ‘parental training’ to make people into acceptable parents. If they are not already good parents, don’t expect you can turn them into that. If they cared, they’d have already worked to improve themselves.

41. by Susan Louise Cole

On August 15, 2012 at 6:31 am

Race,gender,creed,and adoption aside;IF you thought for one minute that you were a threat to anyone(these actions are not accidental)and you KNEW that castration or genital mutilation was the punishment, as it well should be, would you not seek out incarceration and/or psycological assistance BEFORE destroying a life? Why do we wait until all the damage is done and then scramble around to find an answer? Shame on the lazy and ineffective judicial system…if the punishment fit the crime I would choose to keep my bodily functions intact.

42. by YVONDA K. JOHNSON

On August 16, 2012 at 4:38 am

PEDOPHILES CANNOT BE REHABILITATED; RAPISTS CANNOT BE REHABILITATED; JUSTICE SYSTEM IS USELESS IF THERE IS NOT JUSTICE. DEATH SENTENCE IS THE ONLY WAY.

43. by Sheri

On August 16, 2012 at 6:25 am

This story sickens me!Those poor kids.
    In regards to your statement of ” tell me a good adoption story please”. Most adoptions ARE good stories. This one was a bad one. You can’t think all adoptions are bad because of the few sickos out there anymore than I should think no one should be allowed to have bio children because it happens with them too.

44. by J'lynn

On August 19, 2012 at 11:21 am

what, a good adpotion story? if you did ur research you would find many good stories… my aunt and uncle adopted my cousin when he was 2 days old… he was loved treated with all the respect in the world. he was NEVER abused by anyone. my parents not only adopted one child from cps, but THREE CHILDREN. my brother was adopted when he was 7… my sister and i were adopted when we were 3 and 4… again… never abused in any way shape or form… we were raised good jewish kids. then by the grace of god. my mom got preg with there bio child, my little sister… we were never treated any different then my little sister. we all hd wonderful childhoods we all grauated high school. my brother went on to be an under water welder, my sisters are both in collage now and im an aesthetician. all four of us are good people with great lives. had my parents not adopted the 3 of us, i know none of us would have turned out as good as we are. they are angles for taking in 3 kids off the streets and giving them love and a chance at life, that other wise wouldnt have been so good. is that a good apotion story for you? do better research before makeing such a stupid comment… there are lots of great adoptive parents out there. just because this guy was a punk does not mean everyone who wants to adopt is going to be abusive. my husband was raised by his bio father and was beating on a daily bc his dad is a total ass. and three kids were adopted by my parents and were never ever abused in any way shape or form. and to top that off~ they are now raising two more kids. so let me count that for you, SIX children have been adopted by my parents. my parents are freakin angles… and im sure 99% of adoptive parents are good loving people who dont rape or abuse there children…

45. by Jay

On August 20, 2012 at 5:21 am

This is really a question for your editors, but why do the photos that illustrate the links to other “Must Reads” show smiling, happy children when they stories the photos link to are so horrific. Story about kids being raped, photo of smiling toddler opening a door. Story about “kids in chains,” photo of a smiling kid in a box. It’s really pretty offensive. I’d ask your editors directly, but I can’t find a way to email them.

46. by J C W

On August 23, 2012 at 4:34 am

The DHS/CPS makes money by stealing kids and placing them with unethical foster parents that are in for only the money and then the DHS gets a bonus for adopting those kids away from the true parents thanks to a law designed by Hilary Clinton. The DHS is no more than a mafia style child trafficking syndicate that has all the laws and dykes to protect them from accountability. Man hating Dykes are drawn to the DHS like pedophiles are drawn to the catholic priesthood. Check any local DHS/CPS and you will find that 9 of 10 are man hating dykes. Blue jeans one and a half or two inch belt with a big buckle and blue chammy button up shirt. They are all from the same mold. Molesters should be punished severely but the DHS should get the death sentence for their sins. At least half of the men accused and convicted of molestation are innocent but victims of man haters or kids that know that all they have to do is lie and the DHS will put them away for life regardless of innocence.

47. by ME1

On August 23, 2012 at 7:18 am

The same thing happened in a county in Central Virginia years ago. A single man was given at least three male children. He raped them repeatedly. He’s now in prison and one of the victims is on trial for murdering three peers. Adoption and foster agencies aren’t doing their jobs. Tabs should be kept on these cases. Competent case workers need to make visits. How many times in the last few years have we heard of these children dying and the caseworkers not noticing any signs along the way? Budget cuts and laziness

48. by Sabrina

On August 24, 2012 at 5:11 am

It’s things like this that make a good number of people lose their faith in adoption, if they had it to begin with. Private adoption agencies are a for-profit business, which in the end is more interested in making money than in truly helping families that can’t have kids and kids who need a home and a family. Many are cautious and legitimate and have true concern for the children, but there are quite a few out there that are run like the one in the article that are simply a legal way to sell a child to the highest bidder. Agencies like that one should be closed down.
    I am glad that the boys had the courage to come forward and speak out about what happened to them, and that their abusers are now in a jail cell. Never let those sick SOBs see the light of day again. They should be tortured and made to die a slow and painful death, not handed a living while in jail at the taxpayer’s expense. Broadcast to all the other inmates why these animals are in there and let the jailhouse justice begin.

49. by shell

On August 24, 2012 at 6:41 am

We are so very blessed. We adopted 2 sibling groups of 3. They are as close as any family I have met, they also include my eldest daughter who is my bio baby :) We loved a sibling group of 3 teens and then we were honored to receive 3 little ones. ll children had horrific beginnings but have grown into amazing human beings, surrounded by love, support and goodness. My eldest boy even went to Uganda to help children there and another one went to Mexico. The little ones do what they can to help our local community, with clothing, blankets and food to the needy. All of the teens graduated HS and went on to college. The younger ones are still home and they are loved beyond measure.

Our story doesn’t make the news and I am certain there are many like it, but we are nothing sensational we are just a pack of love.

These stories break my heart and I so want to bring those children home with me.

There are success stories. Many. Unheard, but real, and spreading.
    shell

50. by Yvonne Reyes

On August 28, 2012 at 1:18 am

like in Fertile MN James Duckstad–’nuff said

51. by Yvonne Reyes

On August 28, 2012 at 1:20 am

trouble is too many women are giving the trust over to their men

52. by Tina

On August 28, 2012 at 6:43 am

And we wonder why we have so many kids shooting people this world has gone mad. To adopt children to hurt them he needs to burn so sad now look at all the therapy these children will need hopefully this tragedy will not affect there adult life.

53. by Guest

On August 30, 2012 at 4:51 am

Why gt upset folks? As soon as Ryan is VP this would no longer be a crime as ti is considered incest.

That and if any of the kids et pregnant- he (under Rynas plan) has the right to sue for custody.

Got tolove the Moral right.

These kids should send Pal Ryan a Thankyou note.

54. by Pat

On September 2, 2012 at 7:30 am

No red flags were raised when a man adopted 3 boys? The adoption agency hopefully will be closed.

55. by Manda

On September 4, 2012 at 8:01 am

Well my aunt has 8 Adopted children, she doesn’t even provide seats with seatbelts inside her car for them, instead she bought herself a truck and makes them ride in the back though it has a camper over it the children are never belted… She makes one of them sleep on the floor and she gets a check to from the state of arizona because she adopted “unadoptable children” She is abusive and very neglectful to them and though I have called DHS many times on them they still have never gotten the children taken away from them because they interview them in front of the monster who tells them that if they tell on her they will get a fate worse than death. So I feel horrible for her children… some of them sleep on a cold basement floor because of the abuse they suffer from her they wet the bed so they are “not worthy of a bed” in her eyes. But the DHS will just let it go. It is very sad!

56. by Tim

On September 7, 2012 at 1:30 am

I graduated high school with a girl who was adopted. She has grown in a beautiful and successful young woman. So at least there are a few people who understand what it means to be great parents. Just far too few unfortunately.

57. by Tom

On September 7, 2012 at 6:02 am

Garrotte these dirtbags, leave their bodies for the buzzards. Scum they are.

58. by Mottie

On September 8, 2012 at 12:58 am

what is going on we have real monster abusing our
    precious babies, and it is just demonic. They need to feel the same pain they forced upon those little ones

59. by Steve in Texas

On September 8, 2012 at 5:21 am

Someone needs to die…….!

60. by Rhymeskeema

On September 11, 2012 at 1:35 am

Satanic. Ritual. Abuse.

61. by lois curry

On September 14, 2012 at 7:10 am

I have adopted three grandchildren. I have raised three of my own children, and raising three more is hard, but I would not trust their care to anyone choosen by the department of children’s services in the state of Tennessee. There are far too many stories of abused, adopted children. Go into any juvenile court room and you will see that most of the kids there are kids that are in the custody of the state. We hear these stories of adopted children being abused, but we hear stories every day about children being abused and murdered by their natural parents. Our world has become an evil place. There are parents, both adoptive and natural, that are just evil and unfit to breath earthly air.

62. by Matt

On September 18, 2012 at 4:43 am

I grew up in the same neighborhood as the sick father in the article, and knew him when he was young……but Nothing infuriates me more than someone hurting a child. I really wish he would just hang himself while in jail, and just save the taxpayers time, money and efforts. This is not something that I would have ever expected to see from him, but the sick bastard just deserves to die.

63. by Lissa

On September 24, 2012 at 4:19 pm

While this is completely TRAGIC, let us all remember that sickos do not wear name tags that say “hello I’m a sicko”. One of my close friends, who is single, adopted a son a few years ago. She had extra special scrutiny because she was single and they were worried the boy would not have balance being in a one parent home. This man could have slipped under the radar, or quite frankly FOOLED everyone into allowing him to adopt these children. All things being considered each aspect needs to be uncovered to make sure ALL was done that should have been. The main thing now is to pray for the safety, well being, and future for these poor children who have lived in fear and been ABUSED and SCARRED!

64. by Phyl Jones

On September 27, 2012 at 8:09 am

No happy tale from our adoption. My husband and I took in 4 sisters………….gave them a loving home and all we could for 10 years. We call them the Daughters from HELL…who made life so miserable for us my husband died of a heart attack and the girls stole everything from our house while I was at work. Our son was only 10 at the time and his life was wrecked by our decision to sign on the dotted line.

65. by Smita

On September 29, 2012 at 8:55 am

It’s really unfortunate that the author is indulging in sensationalism at the expense of three kids. It’s clear from the deadline and the way the story is written, that the intent is simply to drive traffic to her site rather than any constructive intent. The whole “Can you believe this guy?… tell me some happy stories please” style is just distasteful gossip mongering. I know I am adding the 66th comment here, but really, this type of “journalism” needs to take a rest.

66. by Cathryn

On October 8, 2012 at 7:29 am

Outraged??? Why all the rhetoric? Do something – either adopt, or if you are not able or suitable, then volunteer to babysit for adoptive parents to give them some time off, or go to a shelter and volunteer to help the people there. They are the ones at risk with children – who if they don’t get help – will probably have their children taken away. At the least, give financially. I feel it is partly the blame of good people who don’t step to help. Don’t get ANGRY without getting INVOLVED!!!
    Please for the sake of children – get INVOLVED!!!

67. by delia

On October 11, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Disturbing. Wrong. Inexcusable. And unforgiveable. May their punishments be fulfilled while rotting on this earth. May it be slow and painful, death is too good for them. May they suffer as these children have suffered . If proper punishment is not applied during the remainder of their undeserving lives, remember, there is a God and there will be the day of their judgements.May the children heal with time and find the courage to trust and love as they deserve to be loved. May they grow to find happiness, peace, and love.

68. by Jim

On October 17, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Our justice system needs a “Eye For an Eye” law and give these, they can’t even be called men, a taste of their own medicine.

69. by Kara

On October 20, 2012 at 11:30 am

You asked how he was screened. They look at your criminal history. Most child molesters DON’T have a criminal history. This might be the first time the guy even raped a child. He could have had been planning this for years.

And I agree with other readers, the “sensationalist” angle you took to write this story is rather distasteful.

70. by justin

On October 21, 2012 at 9:48 am

sick gross travesty.

and i agree with writer of article. where was the regulation? how could a private entity have done this? because of this travesty, the clear answer is more regulation, of which only the government can provide.

if there had been more regulation this travesty would not have happened. for example, many kids drown in swimming pools. there should be a regulation against that – ban all swimming pools, or ban all swimming pools not certified by the government. for another example, kids die in car accidents, there should be a regulation against that – ban all cars. for a third example, kids get shot, there should be a regulation against that – ban all guns.

nothing done by man is 100% effective or safe. travesties should be completely investigated. criminals need to be punished. yet, am i the only one, concerned how the writer just assumes that the private sector was wrong, and more regulation would have prevented this.

with investigation, what if it shows that 99.99% of the time, the private adoption services placed kids in a safe place. but because of this, all private facilities should be shut down?

71. by Will

On October 27, 2012 at 5:22 am

I want to say I’m proud of (many) of the commentators who all reprimand this type of reporting. I know fluff stories don’t get ratings but when all the media ever does is give bad news it conditions our minds to think that evil is all there is, all that can be expected. It only propogates fear, hatred, and will continue to smother love from the human capacity eventually (kinda like what happened to forgiveness). I finally cracked the media formula for mass mind control:

News (considered Truth) = Evil Sensationalized
    Movies (considered Fake) = Heroes & happy endings

The subliminal mental conditioning over countless generations is that good is fake and evil is real by passive association.

Media is a horrible force and major contributing factor to the world condition. The corruption in politics and religion is indeniable, when will the people see that the media is no different.

Evil is trying to make it’s way into all of our hearts its up to us to keep close watch on how we are affected. So many people calling for his blood… Justice should and will be dispensed, but seeing all the ignorant comments and ones eluding to his murder, is sad because that means your souls are not so pure either – love is the key to the change this world needs. So how bout we start by saying, we forgive & pity this sick soul.

I was abused when I was a child and I can tell you that forgiving (something taught by my parents and my faith) and focusing on cultivating love in my heart is what I attribute to my getting beyond it w/o ever having received any professional therapy. Today I’m married (5 years now) and I’m raising a beautiful 3 yo daughter that I’d lay down and die for.

Rethink everything you are certain of because most of you people with so much to say have no personal connection other than emotional impulse heavily influenced by media.

72. by Emily M.

On November 8, 2012 at 5:14 am

I was adopted through a private agency by a minister and his wife when i was a baby. I was FINALLY removed from the home by social services when i was about 8yrs old due to years of sexual, physical and emotional abuse! Adooption in a private sector should simply be illegal.

73. by Emily M.

On November 8, 2012 at 5:21 am

to commentor #70- I can understand what you are trying to convey with your very extreme example. my thought on that is if private adoption agencys are truely interested in simply finding good families and placing children safetly why would they take issue with federally regulated guidelines? And an overseeing administration that checks and rechecks to insure the best interest of the child is at the forefront?

74. by Martha

On December 3, 2012 at 11:00 am

Here is a happy story. My husband and I have tried to have children for 8 years. Friday November 30th we adopted our first son Alijah and made the cover of the St. Petersburg Times here in FLorida. I was the greatest day of my life, because I too am adopted. I feel as if I have come full circle in my life.

75. by Patty

On January 7, 2013 at 7:44 am

I about cried. Once reading about the abused boys and again at reading about the wonderful adoption stories (don’t get mad because I did not know they existed). In fact I know of no good foster parents! I & my brother were taken by money making CPS from our very loving parents some 50 yrs ago. I was 10 then and we were put up for adoption by CPS. When CPS came for the once a year visit, we were cleaned up, dressed up and told to smile! Same thing when potential adoptees came to look us over like shopping at a meat market! They never took us. I think we were too skinny. Years ago yes, but still a part of me and I still so resent CPS and their continuing antics. Discusting! Discusting employees! and I do rank them all together just as they rank all foster children as low life. I had to stay “in the closet” concerning being a foster child to hide the shame it produced. I was able to get a job right out of HS and then I faked my way into college (didn’t let them know I was raised in foster homes). Foster kids were not supposed to go to college in my town up in the state of “Worsenton.” I own a successful business now. I wish I knew these boys so I could fund their college. I want to help foster home abused children attend college, but how?

76. by Patty

On January 7, 2013 at 7:58 am

Even bad news needs reporting. How else will the people covered in good fluff know what is really happening. And people like Will, who are taught at a early age to simply forgive the abusers. If we did not know what was really going on, how could we change anything for the good. I for one will not “forgive and let live”…. let them live to continue the abuse? This was not irresponsible reporting, this is much needed reporting!

77. by Rae

On January 7, 2013 at 8:00 am

78. by Jennifer

On February 6, 2013 at 8:47 am

Pedophiles should be banished to an isolated island–like the treatment was for lepers decades ago. That way they can do unto each other as they’ve done children. There is no cure for this demon malady and it can spread like a virus. That way they can screw each other!!!

79. by Shannon

On February 16, 2013 at 2:14 pm

I don’t understand this country!!! Adoption in America is so hard for people who want to do right and LOVE these children but they seem to just hand kids right over to sicko’s like this! I am just brought to tears by this!! It’s not fair!

80. by Merry Barley

On April 3, 2013 at 8:21 am

I was abused by adoptive mother,am 55 yrs old now and want to leave money to Hell others in my will but cant seem to find a charity,any suggestions?