Military Son Says “Thank You” to Foster Parents

I rarely hear from males who have been adopted and that’s one of the reasons this letter is so special: Corey wrote the letter below to thank his adopted parents for saving his life and showing him a bright future.

He said, “I am a 39-year-old male that was born to a physically abusive father and a mother on drugs; I don’t remember much of the abuse because I was so young, a baby. I do remember once my dad went into a bar to drink and left me in the car for hours and hours.

One time, my father was arrested with me in the car and I was put in the jail cell with him until my mother picked us up.

Another time, my sister (she was one year older) and I arrived home from school and our parents were not home. We wandered around the neighborhood for hours, finally asking our neighbor for food because we were hungry. Our parents returned around one in the morning.

Soon after that one, we came home from school again and they never came home. My sister and I walked to a friend’s house, walked in their back door and began helping ourselves to milk and food in their refrigerator. Their mother quietly called the police and the officer picked us up and we were placed in an orphanage.

I’m not sure how long we were there but I soon learned to hate powdered milk and I also learned how cruel kids can be. Sometime later, my sister and I were placed in separate foster homes.

“My foster parents were loving and kind.”

Even my foster bothers were cool! I remember my biological parents having visitations but they were few and far between. I was eventually adopted into a family with my biological sister and we grew up there. Our adopted family pushed us to do well in school, to be honest and loving, and we thrived. My sister eventually went into the navy and I joined the army.

I was gifted with a better life and was made into a better person than I would have been otherwise. I am married with two amazing children. I thank my adoptive parents in my heart every day! I dream of adopting myself and giving another child the helping hand I was given. Thank you for listening!”

If you have an inspiring story, please Comment below.

Back To The Adoption Diaries, by Nicole Dorsey-Straff
  1. by Bridget

On August 31, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Beautiful story!

I am also adopted & thank my birth family in my heart for their choice to give us (I’m a TWIN) life everyday. Unfortunately, my adoption records are sealed so I can NEVER actually say thank you to them directly. I’ve had a wonderful life that might not have been possible without their tough decision, but they will never know how we’ve turned out.

To take a slight tangent, do you know if there’s been any progress on the open records law? I live in New York State which is very strict. My priorities for contacting my birth family has gone from a general thank you to a more critical one, of finding my medical history. I have a 1-year-old son and can give his doctor no history other than my own. Anyone in the family have heart disease? Diabetes? Cancer? I’ll never be able to tell him, unless they release the records.

Any help or information you have would be so appreciated! Thank you for these stories!!!

2. by Corey

On September 1, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Miss Bridget, I am the guy mentioned above. I can tell you from experience, finding birth parents can be tough. The records here in Oklahoma are rather strict too. If you were adopted right at birth and therefore have no memories before adoption, Then knowing the state you were adopted in and your Birth day (and being a twin) give you enough information to search hospitals for birthing records on the correct date and look for leads there. This is how i found mine. I was adopted around the age of 5 or 6 along with m sister and I have had many memories from before adoption. These memories did not include text or numbers, only images in my mind, but this was enough to help me find the neighborhood I lived in back then. Other options include court records because one can be willingly given up or forcefully, and both may involve court records.
    (i realize the “sealed” records won’t be found, but often there are traces left behind.
    I wish you the best of luck in your quest and when you do find them, remember, no matter who they are or their past, there’s no way to know how they are now. Love them anyway for without them you would not even have the chance to be born.

3. by risperdal online

On October 1, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Great post I must say. Simple but yet interesting. Wonderful work!

4. by twitter mass followers

On April 20, 2012 at 8:11 am

I have recently started a web site, the information you offer on this web site has helped me greatly. Thanks for all of your time & work.

5. by Herbalife introduction

On April 22, 2012 at 2:12 am

Hey, buddy, I have not discovered tips on how to subscribe

6. by Edison Richrdson

On April 22, 2012 at 8:14 am

I used to be more than happy to seek out this internet-site.I wanted to thanks in your time for this glorious read!! I positively enjoying each little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you weblog post.

7. by newspaper

On April 29, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Perfect page dude. Thank you. However I am struggling with an issue with your rss. Don’t know why I am not able to subscribe to it. Is there somebody getting the same rss issue? Anyone who knows please respond. Thnx

8. by transudate

On June 9, 2012 at 5:44 pm

I recently couldn’t depart your internet site before suggesting that I enjoyed the usual information someone provide in your site visitors? Is gonna be again regularly to look at cross-check new posts.