Celebrate Adoption on July 4th!

You start doing your personal research, you read books, surf the blogs (thanks for coming!), and come to find that many such “adoption experts” became experts because they did it so many times.

I’ve read about one family with 12 adoptees, another with 19 adoptees. One mother said she wasn’t an expert in the process until after her eighth imported child.

I believe that every adoption journey is a completely unique experience but it sure doesn’t hurt to get some tips from the pros! The only thing for which I hold the “pro” title is for my son, Sam. (I can tell within a millisecond of his peripheral glance, exactly how he’s feeling, and why.) Sam is five years old and without guidance from my husband and friends that kid would still be in diapers, sucking noisily on his right thumb. Stayin’ up all night cuddling mommy.

I have no head for milestones. As you can probably tell if you’ve read any of my posts, I am happy to keep my biological son happy, healthy and loved. I cannot fathom doing it for 6, 9 even 12 kids. Why do you do it out there? I have to know!

So my only advice for looking into adoption is to be open to nearly anything happening. I figure, at the end of the bumpy roller coaster  ride, you might deserve inherit a child or two (or 19!). Maybe it’s better to try hard rather than not try at all?

No matter what stage of adoption you’re engaged in, read up on it! Here are my new favorite adoption tips from the real experts:

Prepare for a bumpy ride. “I would just say that all the previous disappointments, tears and agonizingly long waits are so worth it once you hold your precious child.”

Make one crucial decision in the beginning: Do you lean towards domestic adoption or international adoption? And realize these pros and cons.

Don’t drive yourself mad with subject saturation. Too many would-be parents absorb daunting and grossly outdated advice. Adoption legislation happens quickly; so don’t invest too many emotions in stats buried six months ago! http://adoptedbydesign.typepad.com/

PSSST: What are you an expert in this month? Do you have any words of wisdom to help potential adoptive parents out there?

Credit: I became and expert on sucking Sam’s toes on the photo top right. Still an expert, if you really want to know!

Back To The Adoption Diaries, by Nicole Dorsey-Straff
  1. by Ty Sorrels

On November 9, 2011 at 1:20 am

Just thought i would comment and say neat style, did you code it oneself? Appears good.

2. by eye creams

On November 10, 2011 at 4:08 am

My spouse and i fully recognize, although the points can often be stated in any sharper style, i mean almost all I was announcing. Not any prob here bro, Im not in which uptight over it.

3. by Lenora Everson

On November 13, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Lady Gaga cried for a week the moment she learned how how well her most recent album was able to sell. The singer was powerless to keep her inner thoughts in check since she was so overwhelmed from the strong response to her LP ‘Born This Way’ the minute it was introduced last month.

4. by Fixed Rated Private Student Loan

On November 17, 2011 at 9:17 am

You made some first rate factors there. I regarded on the internet for the difficulty and located most individuals will associate with along with your website.

5. by Ursula Vatter

On December 25, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Excelent info my friend!!, keep it comming!

6. by Kenneth Bolognese

On February 6, 2012 at 4:29 pm

With havin so much written content do you ever run into any problems of plagorism or copyright infringement? My website has a lot of unique content I’ve either written myself or outsourced but it appears a lot of it is popping it up all over the internet without my agreement. Do you know any solutions to help prevent content from being stolen? I’d really appreciate it.

7. by Allan Depina

On March 16, 2012 at 10:43 am

Greetings from Florida! I’m bored to tears at work so I decided to check out your blog on my iphone during lunch break. I enjoy the info you present here and can’t wait to take a look when I get home. I’m amazed at how fast your blog loaded on my phone .. I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyhow, superb blog!