Your Guide to Water Safety
Rules for Oceans and Lakes
- Don't take your eyes off children when they're in the water -- ever.
- Swim only when a lifeguard is on duty and in designated areas.
- When boating, canoeing, tubing, waterskiing, or riding a Jet Ski, make sure everyone wears a personal flotation device that is approved by the Coast Guard (check the label).
- Never let your child dive if you don't know how deep the water is or if there could be hidden dangers below.
- Understand the meanings and obey the warnings of the colored flags placed near the shore by lifeguards.
- Stop swimming at the first sign of bad weather: storm clouds; thunder and lightning; rough, foamy water.