- Clear the yard of any loose brush -- such as leaves, sticks, the remains of perennials, or grass clippings -- where ticks may hide.
- Stack firewood on a platform to prevent contact with the ground.
- Keep the ground under bird feeders clean to avoid attracting small animals.
- Install a cap on your chimney to prevent raccoons and other small animals from entering your house.
- Keep cats indoors and dogs on leashes to reduce the chance of their bringing ticks into your house. Do daily tick checks on pets that have ventured outside, and consider having your dog vaccinated for Lyme disease; the shot is inexpensive and up to 90 percent effective.
- If you live in an area that has lots of deer, consider installing a fence to keep them out of your yard.