Causes and Treatments
Foodborne illness, which affects more than 75 million people a year, is caused by toxins, parasites, viruses, and especially bacteria -- including salmonella, E. coli, and staphylococcus. Children, whose immune systems are not fully developed, are at high risk for serious complications, as are pregnant women and the elderly. But some simple precautions can help keep your family safe.
Mommy, My Tummy Hurts
Food poisoning starts anywhere from an hour to three days after eating tainted or undercooked food. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, cramps, and fever. Here are some red flags to watch for.
|Situation||A few hours after a family picnic, your 9-year-old son starts vomiting.|
|What It Could Be||Staphylococcus aureus|
|What To Do||Have your child rest and drink plenty of water. You can also give him a hydrating solution such as Pedialyte. But if he develops a fever above 101.5°F or has difficulty keeping water down, you should call the pediatrician.|
|Situation||Your 6-month-old baby shows signs of abdominal pain or has diarrhea.|
|What It Could Be||Salmonella|
|What To Do||Give your baby plenty of water, and call your pediatrician. Because food poisoning can be more dangerous in babies than in older children, take her to the doctor if she has more than two episodes of diarrhea or vomiting, especially if she shows signs of dehydration (dry mouth, rapid heartbeat, or reduced urination).|
|Situation||The day after eating a fast-food hamburger, your 6-year-old daughter develops severe, bloody diarrhea.|
|What It Could Be||E. coli O157:H7, shigella, or salmonella|
|What To Do||Take your child to the pediatrician as soon as possible; the doctor can take a stool sample to see what's making her sick. Bloody diarrhea is a sign of serious infection. Don't give your child an antidiarrheal medication, which can make her sicker.|
|Situation||Your 11-month-old baby is listless and seems weak.|
|What It Could Be||Botulism|
|What To Do||Botulism is rare, but it has a high fatality rate if not treated immediately and properly. Get your child medical attention right away, especially if he has eaten honey, which is often the culprit in babies. If left untreated, botulism can lead to paralysis or respiratory failure.|