Fire Alarm: Protect Your Family from Fires

Fire Dos and Don'ts

People make dangerous mistakes when they're caught off guard by a fire. It's crucial to know what to do when:

A pan of oil on the stove catches fire.
Do: Slide a lid over the pan to smother the fire.
Don't: Put water or flour on a grease fire; this can create an explosive flare-up.

A candle ignites your child's clothing or hair.
Do: Tell her to stop where she is, drop to the ground, and roll until the flames are out. Rinse the burn with cool water and get medical help right away.
Don't: Leave her alone to get an extinguisher or water.

An overloaded electrical outlet catches fire.
Do: Get everyone out of the house and call 911. Only use a fire extinguisher if it's rated Class C for electrical fires or has a multipurpose ABC rating.
Don't: Use another class of fire extinguisher or water, which can cause electrocution.

Parents Are Talking

Add a Comment