Around the House
- Keep cleaning supplies in their original containers -- with safety caps -- behind latched cabinet doors.
- Make sure stairs are carpeted and protected with non-accordion gates.
- Invest in outlet covers for empty outlets, and outlet guards for outlets in use.
- Keep all rooms in your house free from small parts, plastic bags, small toys, and balloons.
- Shorten drapery and blind cords, and cut any that are looped.
- Consider opening windows from the top rather than from the bottom, or installing hardware that limits how far the bottom window can be opened.
- Install window guards to prevent kids from falling out.
- Put radiator guards on all heaters -- radiators can cause blistering burns.
- Install smoke detectors all around the house, and keep a fire extinguisher handy.
- Teach your children how to call 911 in an emergency.
Additional reporting by Mark Widome, MD
All content here, including advice from doctors and other health professionals, should be considered as opinion only. Always seek the direct advice of your own doctor in connection with any questions or issues you may have regarding your own health or the health of others.