The Well-Stocked First-Aid Kit
Prepare first-aid kits for your home and car. Keep them out of reach of curious young hands. Include emergency phone numbers and any medications you may need, along with the following items:
1. Antibacterial ointment
2. Hydrocortisone cream (1 percent)
3. Alcohol wipes
4. Bandages Band-Aid Hurt-Free bandages ($3) promise painless removal, while the 100% Waterproof variety ($2.50, both in drugstores) stay on even in the pool.
5. Gauze pads and roller gauze
6. Adhesive tape
7. Hand sanitizer
8. Cold pack Munchkin First Aid Friends Reusable Cold Pack (Blue, the dog, and other animals, $7; 800-344-BABY) makes owies go away quicker.
10. Tweezers Tick Tweezer from Tweezerman ($5; 888-88-PLUCK) does the job right.
12. Acetaminophen and ibuprofen
13. Itch-relief cream Aveeno Anti-Itch Gel ($6; drugstores) soothes bites, sunburn, and poison ivy. Cutter All Family Mosquito Wipes ($4; drugstores) prevent bites with a swipe.
14. Activated charcoal
15. Aloe vera gel
Julie Evans lives in Cleveland, Ohio, and is the mother of two.
Originally published in American Baby magazine.
All content here, including advice from doctors and other health professionals, should be considered as opinion only. Always seek the direct advice of your own doctor in connection with any questions or issues you may have regarding your own health or the health of others.