First Aid for Your Baby's Accidents

Accidental Poisoning

Little ones tend to think everything is ingestible. It's up to you to keep potential poisons out of reach.

Home Care

If you think your child has ingested a poisonous substance, contact the Poison Control Center immediately at 800-222-1222. Among other information, they will ask for your child's age, weight, and if the child has vomited. They will tell you whether or not you need to go to the emergency room. Don't make your child vomit unless instructed to do so.

Tip

Throw out the syrup of ipecac. This vomit-inducing medicine is no longer recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics because it's been proven ineffective in poisoning cases.

Parents Are Talking

Add a Comment