Signs of Hearing Impairment
Here's an age-by-age guide of signs to watch out for:
- Doesn't startle or cry at loud noises
- Doesn't stop moving or crying in response to your voice
3 to 4 months
- Doesn't turn toward a sound
5 to 6 months
- Doesn't notice you until she sees you
6 to 7 months
- Prefers vibratory sounds (she can feel these)
- Doesn't babble or try to repeat sounds
- Hasn't yet said simple words such as "Mama," "Dada," or "bye-bye"
- Speech is hard to understand (many words and short phrases should be recognizable)
- Doesn't repeat words you say
- Doesn't respond when called
- Hears some sounds but not others
Copyright © 2002 AmericanBaby.com.
All content here, including advice from doctors and other health professionals, should be considered as opinion only. Always seek the direct advice of your own doctor in connection with any questions or issues you may have regarding your own health or the health of others.