Can You Hear Me Now?
Even babies who pass the newborn hearing screening can develop hearing loss later on. If your baby doesn't reach these milestones, it's a good idea to have her hearing retested.
At 3 months
- Turns her eyes or head toward loud sounds
- Begins to imitate some sounds
- Smiles at the sound of your voice
At 7 months
- Looks at you when you call her name
- Responds to sound by making sounds
- Babbles chains of sounds like "ba-ba-ba-ba"
At 12 months
- Responds to "no" and simple requests
- Says words like "dada" and "mama"
- Understands common phrases like "bye-bye"
At 24 months
- Says at least 15 words
- Uses two- to four-word phrases
- Repeats words overheard in conversation
Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing