Social Development Milestones
1 to 3 Months
- Develops a social smile.
- Enjoys playing with others, and may cry when play stops.
- Imitates some movements and facial expressions.
4 to 7 Months
- Enjoys social play.
- Is interested in mirror images and studies faces.
- Smiles more at an actual face than an image of one.
8 to 12 Months
Shows preference for certain people and toys.
Is shy or anxious with strangers.
Tests parental responses to actions.
1 to 3 Years
- Imitates the behavior of others, especially adults.
- Begins to take turns during play.
- Spontaneously shows affection for familiar playmates.
- Understands concept of "mine."
Originally published in the December 2007 issue of American Baby magazine.
All content on this Web site, including medical opinion and any other health-related information, is for informational purposes only and should not be considered to be a specific diagnosis or treatment plan for any individual situation. Use of this site and the information contained herein does not create a doctor-patient relationship. Always seek the direct advice of your own doctor in connection with any questions or issues you may have regarding your own health or the health of others.