Age-by-Age Guide to Baby Friendships
12 to 24 months
- Babies 12 and 13 months old are attracted to people who are doing the same thing they are.
- Children begin to be interested in people outside their own families.
- Babies create similarities where none exist to initiate an interaction. A baby might pick up a red ball if he decides he wants to interact with another baby holding a red ball.
- One toddler will often approach another and stare, touch, make a weird noise, or even land a punch.
- You can see the baby's whole body change to convey her excitement at the sight of her friend.
- Toddlers can interact in "companionable silences," reminding you of old married couples who don't need words to communicate.