Building Fine Motor Skills
Here are some ways to help your child develop his muscles and hone his talents.
- Give your infant tummy time every day so he can build up the muscles in his back and shoulders.
- Starting at 8 months, offer your baby small, age-appropriate finger foods that she can try to pick up and get into her mouth.
- At age 1, encourage activities that require picking an item up and dropping it into a box. Stacking games are also a fun challenge.
- Starting at around 18 months, encourage him to use crayons and sculpting clay.
- By age 2, start enlisting your child's help in the kitchen. Ask him to help stir the batter or cut shapes out of cookie dough.
- By age 3, many kids show interest in computers. Helping your child master the mouse develops her hand-eye coordination. Your basic scissors and glue sticks can be exciting challenges for 3-year-olds.