How to Make Baby Laugh
Here are some great ways to get the giggles together.
Newborn to Age 1
- Play "This Little Piggy" with gentle tickling.
- Say "Uh-oh!" with a silly voice and face whenever your baby deliberately drops something.
- Play peekaboo and change your facial expression every time you reveal yourself.
Ages 1 to 2
- Play "chase/kiss": Crawl after baby ("I'm gonna get you!") and reward the capture with snuggles.
- Make funny faces and encourage your child to imitate you.
- Sing and speak in rhyme.
Ages 2 to 4
- Break out your old camp songs with their silly choruses.
- Play dress up: Encourage your child to put on your clothes and pretend to put on his.
- Have fun with food: Make a smiley face with Cheerios in your child's oatmeal.
Emily Perlman Abedon, a mother of four, is a writer based in Charleston, South Carolina.
Originally published in American Baby magazine, October 2004.