TV & Kids: Facts
- Kids play for shorter periods when TV is on in the background.
- Thirty-two percent of kids 6 and under live in homes where the TV is on all or most of the time.
- Seventy-four percent of all infants and toddlers watch TV before their second birthday.
- In 1970, the average age at which kids started watching TV was 4; today it is 4 months.
- Forty-three percent of children under age 2 watch TV every day, and 18 percent watch videos or DVDs every day.
- Kids are slower to start a task they see on screen vs. live.
- The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends no TV before age 2 -- and no more than 2 hours after.