The Benefits of Being Bilingual
Why should you encourage your child to study a second language? Researchers have found the following:
- Children who study languages are more imaginative, better with abstract ideas, and more flexible in their thinking.
- They have a greater sensitivity to language and a better ear for listening.
- Studying a foreign language improves a child's understanding of his own native language.
- It opens the door to other cultures and helps the child understand and appreciate people from other countries.
- It can help him feel connected to his own heritage.
- It's a lot of fun!
Sources: Zero to Three; Berlitz Language Centers; LinguaKids, LLC; John Bonvillian, PhD
The information on this Web site is designed for educational purposes only. It is not intended to be a substitute for informed medical advice or care. You should not use this information to diagnose or treat any health problems or illnesses without consulting your pediatrician or family doctor. Please consult a doctor with any questions or concerns you might have regarding your or your child's condition.