Enhance Learning at Home
While classes can provide a good foundation for language learning, you'll want to reinforce the concepts at home. Here are some ways to keep the spirit alive:
- Introduce your child to foreign-language picture books, videos, tapes, CDs, and TV shows geared toward young children.
- Search the Web for foreign-culture sites -- like Paris.org -- that can be viewed in English and a foreign language.
- Walk through the ethnic foods department of a supermarket and look at labels; also sample native foods in restaurants and at home.
- Label household objects in a foreign language, and practice identifying them.
- Invite guests who are fluent in other languages.
- Help your child find an overseas pen pal.