- September 5, 2013
- Suzuki Motor of America, Inc.
- The Danger:
- Suzuki is recalling certain 2006 through 2011 Suzuki Grand Vitara compact SUVs and 2007 through 2011 Suzuki SX4 passenger cars to fix an airbag problem. Over time in the affected vehicles, the occupant classification system (OCS) sensor mat installed in the front passenger seat may fail after repeated flexing of the mat during seat use.
As a result of this condition, in a crash that necessitates airbag deployment, the passenger airbag will deploy regardless of whether an adult or a child is occupying the front seat. Airbag deployment with a child sitting in the front seat increases the risk of injury to the child. There have been no reports of accidents or injuries due to the reported defect.
- The recall includes 193,936 2006 through 2011 Suzuki Grand Vitara compact SUVs and 2007 through 2011 Suzuki SX4 passenger cars. The production dates for the affected Suzuki Grand Vitara and SX4 vehicles are as follows:
2006 Grand Vitara - May 24, 2005 - May 31, 2006
2007 Grand Vitara - June 1, 2006 - May 31, 2007
2008 Grand Vitara - May 31, 2007 - May 30, 2008
2009 Grand Vitara - June 2, 2008 - January 30, 2009
2010 Grand Vitara - July 1, 2009 - May 31, 2010
2011 Grand Vitara - June 1, 2010 - April 26, 2011
2007 SX4 - May 31, 2006 - June 1, 2007
2008 SX4 - June 1, 2007 - June 30, 2008
2009 SX4 - June 2, 2008 - March 4, 2009
2010 SX4 - July 10, 2009 - May 31, 2010
2011 SX4 - June 1, 2010 - May 10, 2011
- Sold At:
- Car dealerships nationwide.
- What To Do:
- Suzuki will notify owners and dealers will replace the front seat cushion assembly, which includes the OCS sensor mat. The service will be performed at no charge. As sufficient quantities of parts to fix all vehicles are not yet available, owners will be notified by Suzuki of the recall in October 2013 and will receive a second notification when parts are available to repair their vehicle. For more information, call Suzuki at (800) 255-2550 and reference the Suzuki recall campaign #VD.
- For More Information: