- July 24, 2012
- Peg Perego USA Inc.
- The Danger:
- Entrapment and strangulation can occur, especially to infants younger than 12 months of age, when a child is not harnessed. An infant can pass through the opening between the stroller tray and seat bottom, but his/her head and neck can become entrapped by the tray. Infants who become entrapped at the neck are at risk of strangulation.
- A 6-month-old baby boy died of strangulation after his head was trapped between the seat and the tray of his Peg Perego stroller in 2004. Another baby, a 7-month-old girl nearly strangled when her head became trapped between the seat and the tray of her stroller in 2006.
- The recall involves two different older versions of the Peg Perego strollers, Venezia and Pliko-P3, about 223,000 products, manufactured between January 2004 and September 2007, in a variety of colors. They were manufactured prior to the existence of the January 2008 voluntary industry standard which addresses the height of the opening between the stroller's tray and the seat bottom. The voluntary standard requires larger stroller openings that prevent infant entrapment and strangulation hazards. Only strollers that have a child tray with one cup holder are part of this recall. Strollers with a bumper bar in front of the child or a tray with two cup holders are not included in this recall. The following Venezia and Pliko-P3 stroller model numbers that begin with the following numbers are included in this recall. The model number is printed on a white label on the back of the Pliko P-3's stroller seat and on the Venezia stroller's footboard.
- Pliko-P3 Stroller Model Numbers
IPFR28US34xxxxxxxx, IPPF28NA32, IPFT28NA63, IPPF28NA57, IPFT28NA64, IPPF28NA65, IPP328MU10, IPPF28NA66, IPP328MU09, IPPF28NA67, IPP328US09, IPPF28NA68, IPP328US10, IPPO28US32, IPP329US10, IPPO28US34, IPPA28US32, IPPO28US62, IPPA28US33, IPPO28US69, IPPA28US34, IPPO28US70, IPPD28NA34, IPPO28US71
- Venezia Stroller Model Numbers
IPVA13MU09, IPVA13MU10, IPVA13US09, IPVA13US10, IPVA13US32, IPVA13US34, IPVC13NA32, IPVC13NA34
- Sold At:
- Various retailers nationwide, including Babies R Us and Buy Buy Baby from January 2004 through September 2010 for between $270 and $330 for the Pliko P-3 stroller and between $350 and $450 for the Venezia stroller. They were manufactured in Italy.
- What To Do:
- Immediately stop using the recalled strollers and contact the firm for a free repair kit. Do not return the stroller to the retailers as they will not be able to provide the repair kit. Contact the company toll-free at (888) 734-6020 or visit pegperegousa.com.