Ask Our Experts

Got Questions? We've got answers from experts and parents who've been there.

How can you alleviate stuttering?

My 5-year-old child has been stuttering for a couple of years now, and gets very upset when he can't get his words out. What should we do?
Submitted by Team

You should ask your pediatrician for a referral to a speech pathologist. While it is normal for very young children (around 2 or 3) to stutter, when the condition is still an issue at age 5 and the child is exhibiting signs of distress when it happens, then a speech evaluation is essential. Although  therapy can be pricey, many insurance plans may actually cover services if they're administered by a hospital-based practice. Children under 6 years of age may also qualify for government early intervention services, which means the cost of his therapy may be partially or fully covered. You should talk to your child's principal and ask that an evaluation of his speech be done. Once the school confirms that your son has a problem with stuttering, they can usually arrange for therapy to take place in school during the school day. Above all, try not to worry too much. With proper treatment, most kids learn to control their stuttering before adolescence. The condition is no indication of his current or future intellectual abilities.

Copyright 2009

The answers from our experts are for educational purposes only. Please always refer to your child's pediatrician and mental health expert for more in-depth advice.

Community Answers


Answer this Question

Enter an Answer to this Question

500 characters left